Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My first Maryland waterfowl hunt!




     About 2 years ago I had the pleasure to meet Todd. We met at work, and I found out he was an avid Maryland waterfowl hunter.  We became good friends while working together, and he actually offered to take me duck hunting last year.  I had never been.  But I had a little tunnel vision last year.  It was September and deer hunting was the only thing on my mind.  While I was in the bug laden woods of Maryland and West Virginia trying to get that illusive early season buck Todd was nowhere to be found.  He was on the waters of central/western Maryland.  I thought he must be crazy, its deer season!  That was until I went with him a few days ago!  
     
     Deer season had come to an end, and I wanted something to hunt between deer and turkey season! I have shot skeet before, but never any sort of waterfowl..  So I got online, got my state, and federal migratory bird stamp, grabbed my old Mossberg, and away we went.  What a trip!  Although it was late season, and I only managed one goose, it was a rush!  As the sun came up I started to see more ducks/geese in one day than I have in a single day ever!  Flocks of Mergansers, Wood ducks, Mallards, Geese, hooded this, whats-it that.  My head was literally spinning.  A Maryland waterfowl trip is a must for any hunter.. 

     I was trying to take everything in, and maybe even learn a few things.  Every bird that flew by I focused in on waiting to take off the safety. Then we heard that familiar honking sound, it was a lone goose coming in about an hour after sunrise. It started to circle, and my heart started to pound.  It was coming into our decoys! It landed, and got right in line with our other decoys.  After 20 minutes, and no other birds headed our way everyone in the boat decided I should shoot the goose before it took off.  I got my first Goose that day, at about 20 yards...  Now I can't wait to see how it taste!  Oh yeah, I'm headed out tomorrow for another goose hunt......  This can't possibly addictive right!?


Video shot with the Drift HD Ghost.  More on that later...Stay tuned

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on shooting your first goose. My uncle likes to get the whole family together to go goose hunting every year. It is a really fun tradition, even though we usually don't get any geese.

    Susan Hirst | https://birdsandbucksoutdoors.com/colorado-goose-hunting/

    ReplyDelete